After many years in the spray tan industry I’ve learned a few tips and tricks to help you have a flawless, long lasting tan.
HOW TO PREP
- Prepping for your tan is by far the MOST important part!
- Leading up to your tan be sure to moisturize your skin. This will help make sure your skin won’t be flaky and dry when you tan. I suggest using Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream. Be sure you are not using anything with mineral oil or alcohol. See which products I like HERE.
- Wax a day or more before. Shave 24 hours before.
- It is better to get your nails done prior.
- **This is most important step! EXFOLIATE with a mitt, non-oil based scrub, or luffah.
- DO NOT put on lotion! Minimal deodorant, no face makeup, perfume, or oils.
WHAT TO WEAR
during and after
- If you are breastfeeding I recommend wearing nipple covers or carefully wiping off the solution around the area after your tan.
- It is best to avoid a bra after a tan, straps and underwire can rub the solution off. If you must, a lace or cotton bralette or bandeau bra.
- Make sure that you feel dry before getting dressed. You will feel slightly sticky after but you shouldn’t feel wet. Once you are dry put on loose, dark clothing. No yoga pants, no jeans, no socks.
- Flip flops or UGG boots are best.
AFTER YOUR TAN
- Avoid water and sweating for 8 hours. Now is not the time to do your dishes, water your flowers or take a drink of a beverage while driving. The last thing you want is a streak down your leg or arm or chin.
- If you tend to sweat or it’s hot outside, use baby powder in creases and arm pits to keep your skin dry.
- 8 hours is the minimum amount of time to wait before showering. The first shower should be a lukewarm rinse just to wash the bronzer and solution off. Stop once the water is clear and pat yourself dry.
- Use mild body wash instead of harsh bar soaps. See which ones I recommend HERE.
- Stay hydrated! You should drink plenty of water and moisturize twice a day.
- Plan your exercise routine around your tan and wait at least 16 hours to sweat.
- Your face and hands are always the first to fade due to constant washing. HERE are face tanners I recommend for between tanning sessions. If are going on vacation or want to extend your tan THESE lotions are recommended